Vicarious Liability in India
1. A master is vicariously liable and punishable for publication of a libel by his servant. Defamation is an offence under Sec. 499 and is punishable under Sec. 500 of the Indian Penal Code.
3. In India, vicarious liability is imposed on owners or occupiers of land when unlawful assembly or riot takes place in their land. Sections 154, 155 and 156 deal with vicarious liability.
- Section 154 - Owner of occupier of land
- Section 155 - Liability of person for whose benefit riot is committed.
- Section 156 - Liability of agent of owner or occupier for whose benefit riot is committed.