Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Section 73 of Companies Act, 2013
Section 73 of Companies Act, 2013 deals with Prohibition on acceptance of deposits from public.
From the Act
(1) On and after the commencement of this Act, no company shall invite, accept or renew deposits under this Act from the public except in a manner provided under this Chapter:
Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall apply to a banking company and nonbanking financial company as defined in the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 and to such other company as the Central Government may, after consultation with the Reserve Bank of India, specify in this behalf.
(2) A company may, subject to the passing of a resolution in general meeting and subject to such rules as may be prescribed in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India, accept deposits from its members on such terms and conditions, including the provision of security, if any, or for the repayment of such deposits with interest, as may be agreed upon between the company and its members, subject to the fulfilment of the following conditions, namely:—
(a) issuance of a circular to its members including therein a statement showing the financial position of the company, the credit rating obtained, the total number of depositors and the amount due towards deposits in respect of any previous deposits accepted by the company and such other particulars in such form and in such manner as may be prescribed;
(b) filing a copy of the circular along with such statement with the Registrar within thirty days before the date of issue of the circular;
(c) depositing such sum which shall not be less than fifteen per cent. of the amount of its deposits maturing during a financial year and the financial year next following, and kept in a scheduled bank in a separate bank account to be called as deposit repayment reserve account;
(d) providing such deposit insurance in such manner and to such extent as may be prescribed;
(e) certifying that the company has not committed any default in the repayment of deposits accepted either before or after the commencement of this Act or payment of interest on such deposits; and
(f) providing security, if any for the due repayment of the amount of deposit or the interest thereon including the creation of such charge on the property or assets of the company:
Provided that in case where a company does not secure the deposits or secures such deposits partially, then, the deposits shall be termed as ‘‘unsecured deposits’’ and shall be so quoted in every circular, form, advertisement or in any document related to invitation or acceptance of deposits.
(3) Every deposit accepted by a company under sub-section (2) shall be repaid with interest in accordance with the terms and conditions of the agreement referred to in that sub-section.
(4) Where a company fails to repay the deposit or part thereof or any interest thereon under sub-section (3), the depositor concerned may apply to the Tribunal for an order directing the company to pay the sum due or for any loss or damage incurred by him as a result of such non-payment and for such other orders as the Tribunal may deem fit.
(5) The deposit repayment reserve account referred to in clause (c) of sub-section (2) shall not be used by the company for any purpose other than repayment of deposits.
Recent Cases / Related Cases / Case Laws
Related Sections from the Act
- Section 74: Repayment of deposits, etc., accepted before commencement of this Act.
- Section 75: Damages for fraud.
- Section 76: Acceptance of deposits from public by certain companies
Chapters and Sections from the Indian Companies Act, 2013
- Chapter I to VI: Section 1 to Section 87
- Chapter VII: Section 88 to Section 122
- Chapter VIII to X: Section 123 to Section 148
- Chapter XI to XIII: Section 149 to Section 205
- Chapter XIV to XVI: Section 206 to Section 246
- Chapter XVII to XIX: Section 247 to Section 269
- Chapter XX: Section 270 to Section 365
- Chapter XXI to XXVI: Section 366 to Section 406
- Chapter XXVII to XXVIII: Section 407 to Section 446
- Chapter XXIX: Section 447 to Section 470
Other Related Acts
- Companies Act, 1956
- Indian Contract Act, 1872
- Indian Partnership Act, 1932
- Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2014
- Companies (Meetings and Powers of Board) Rules, 2014
- Companies (Declaration and Payment of Dividend) Rules, 2014
- Companies (Audit and Auditors) Rules, 2014
- Companies (Accounts) Rules, 2014
- March 17, 2017: Amendment in Companies Act through Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2016
- March 8, 2016: Amendment in FCRA
- February 29, 2016: Companies Act 2013 to be amended to facilitate Ease of Doing Business
- April 29, 2015: Note on Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2014
- March 10, 2015: Notification of Section 135 of the Companies Act
- July 22, 2014: Changes in Companies Act
- July 18, 2014: Amendment in Companies Act, 1956
- June 12, 2014: Amendment to Rule 6 of the Companies Act
- December 12, 2013: Most Recommendations of The Damodaran Committee Taken Into Account In The Companies Act, 2013
- December 12, 2013: Measures to Prevent and Deal with Occurrence of Frauds
- December 7, 2013: Implementation of the New Company LawCompany Law
People Documents Doctrines