Join our Law Notes WhatsApp Group and stay updated with Legal and Judicial Updates
Section 255 of Indian Penal Code, 1860
Section 255 of Indian Penal Code, 1860 deals with Counterfeiting Government stamp.
From the Act
Whoever counterfeits, or knowingly performs any part of the process of counterfeiting, any stamp issued by Government for the purpose of revenue shall be punished with 1*[imprisonment for life] or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine.
A person commits this offence who counterfeits by causing a genuine stamps of one denomination to appear like a genuine stamp of a different denomination.
Related Cases / Recent Cases / Case Law
Related Sections from the Act
- Section 256: Having possession of instrument or material for counterfeiting Government stamp
- Section 257: Making or selling instrument for counterfeiting Government stamp
- Section 258: Sale of counterfeit Government stamp
- Section 259: Having possession of counterfeit Government stamp
- Section 260: Using as genuine a Government stamp known to be counterfeit
- Section 261: Effacing writing from substance bearing Government stamp, or removing from document a stamp used for it, with intent to cause loss to Government
- Section 262: Using Government stamp known to have been before used
- Section 263: Erasure of mark denoting that stamp has been used
- Section 263A: Prohibition of fictitious stamps
Related Sections from other Acts