Indian Majority Act, 1875
The Indian Majority Act, 1875 has three sections.
Section 1 of Indian Majority Act, 1875
Short title. Local extent, commencement and operation
This Act may be called the Majority Act, 1875. It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir; and it shall come into force and have effect only on the expiration of three months from the passing thereof.
Section 2 of Indian Majority Act, 1875
Nothing herein contained shall affect:--
(a) the capacity of any persons to act in the following matters (namely),--marriage, dower, divorce and adoption;
(b) the religion or religious rites and usages of any class of citizens of India; or
(c) the capacity of any person who before this Act comes into force has attained majority under the law applicable to him.
Section 3: Age of majority of persons domiciled in India
(1) Every person domiciled in India shall attain the age of majority on his completing the age of eighteen years and not before.
(2) In computing the age of any person, the day on which he was born is to be included as a whole day and he shall be deemed to have attained majority at the beginning of the eighteenth anniversary of that day.]
(a) Z is born in 1*[India] on the first day of January 1850, and has 5*[an Indian domicile]. A guardian of his person is appointed by a Court of Justice. Z attains majority at the first moment of the first day of January 1871.
(b) Z is born in 2*[India] on the twenty-ninth day of February 1852, and das 1*[an Indian domicile]. A guardian of his property is appointed by a Court of Justice. Z attains majority at the first moment of the tweny-eight day of February 1873.
(c) Z is born on the first day of January 1850. He acquires a domicile in 2*[India]. No guardian is appointed of his person or property of any Court of Justice, nor is he under the jurisdiction of any Court of Wards. Z attains majority at the first moment of the day of January 1868; (10 of 1868).
- Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act, 1956
- Indian Contract Act, 1872
- Hindu Marriage Act, 1955
- Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005